Skipsea Sands is close to some great castles which will make a great day out for all the family. You can explore a ruined castle or one that has stood the test of time. Some of the castles are even have been occupied for century’s, find out the history behind them.
See below for more details.
Scarborough Castle, Scarborough, Yorkshire - the remains of medieval Royal fortress. originally fortified by the Romans, Saxons, and Vikings. A Norman wooden castle was built in the 1130s. Peace with Scotland and the end of the continental wars led to the decline of the fortress in the 17th century. The castle has been a ruin since the sieges of the English Civil War, between 1642 and 1648. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Skipsea Castle, Skipsea, Yorkshire - earthwork remains of a Norman motte or castle. Originally built to subdue the unruly Saxon North of England, it also served to protect the coastline from Viking raids. Henry III ordered Skipsea destroyed in 1221 after its then owner, Count William de Forz II, rebelled against the crown. Free and open access at any reasonable time.
Flamborough Castle, Flamborough, Yorkshire - the remains of 14th fortified manor house. Originally with clay wall defences. At the centre of these defences stood a chalk pele tower. The tower still stands to first floor level on three sides, the only surviving visible reminder of the castle. Although there is no public access to the ruins, it can be viewed from the nearby road.
Pickering Castle, Pickering, Yorkshire - well preserved remains of 13th century castle, built between 1180 and 1187. The castle remains are particularly well-preserved as it was one of only a few fortifications which were largely unaffected by the 13th century Wars of the Roses and the English Civil War of the 17th century. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.
Helmsley Castle, Helmsley, Yorkshire - originally constructed in wood around 1120, rebuilt in stone by Robert de Roos at the beginning of the 13th century. Besieged by Parliamentary troops for three months in 1644, the garrison finally surrendered and so it became home to the Duke of Buckingham and his wife, the daughter of Thomas Fairfax, the Parliamentary commander. Restricted opening times and entrance charges apply.